Mila will not be extubated today :( She had an episode of bronchiospasms early this morning and they had a hard time recovering her breathing. She calmped down and her body was fighting the ventilator. They gave her albuterol treatment and her breathing finally recovered. The doctors initially said maybe later today they would extubate her if her stats all stayed stable. They took her off the paralytic but kept her sedated. She had all the staff cracking up with her flexible legs pulled straight up in the air just chillin.
Her pulse ox dropped low enough for some nitric oxide and about 11 doctos, nurses, etc to occupy her tiny room. (We asked for an upgrade with a bigger room and a jacuzzi tub but for some reason they just looked at us funny LOL). They decided to reparalyze her and give her even more sedation.
They did an echo trying to figure out what was causing her to desat. There is a small leak from the VSD patch which sometimes happens so we need to pray her body will do its job and close that tiny space on it's own. Between that and her pulmonary hypertension things didn't go as hoped overnight but she is stable now.
They are being extra cautious and not rushing the extubation because she has so many things going for her that can make extubation difficult. The airway surgery last week is the biggest reason they are being so cautious. She still has swelling despite the steroids and will be getting another dose of steroids shortly.
I'm trying not to be too disapointed because I really just want my jelly bean all better in my arms and instead we had a little setback. They will feed her TPN since she will be intubated at least another day. She aquired another nurse so she's got two sets of eyes on her at all times.
This is the hardest, most emotionally trying time ever. I feel like I laid down for 5 minutes last night even though we slept for 6 hours. We were not able to stay in CICU last night with Mila because there is simply no room with all the equipment.
Mila needs lots of prayers for all the things I mentioned above. We need prayers for strength amd energy. Mila will be in CICU at least another night...we will have to decide on a plan for Zoya as well depending on how much longer Mila has to stay in CICU. Please stop for a moment and pray for Mila and for us!