Poor Mila :(

So Mila hasn't been herself since the first couple days home from the hospital. She was like a new baby for a few days but was sleeping terribly from night 2 and just fussy and upset a lot. It has been a LONG two weeks my friends. If you saw me you might run for your life....1. because I look awful and 2. because I'm an emotional basket case without sleep! Anyways, I took her to the doctor on Monday because she just didn't seem right but they didn't find anything. They decided to add another medication for reflux (she was already on one) since her reflux has been so terrible since surgery. Nobody could tell me why it has gotten so much worse since surgery, just that "it sometimes happens."

Yesterday she came down with a 101 fever and last night she cried the entire night....asleep or awake it didn't matter. I took her back to the doctor today and asked if they could do a UTI test (I had asked on Monday if it was a possibility but the PA said no because she had no fever...we had been medicating her with tylenol for her surgery pain so that was hiding the fever but it didn't occur to us...oh and I had also asked in the cardiac step down unit if there was a possibility of her having a UTI because her urine smelled so bad...but I was told it was from the antibiotics). So while waiting for the doctor I was changing Mila's diaper and she started arching her back and screaming like she's been doing a lot (we assumed acid reflux or gas all along) but at the time of this happening I happened to notice she was peeing since I was changing her diaper. I knew it was a UTI. Once the doctor came in she agreed with some of her symptoms that she should be tested and sure enough she has a rockin' UTI...a pretty nasty one :( She will need a kidney ultrasound to see if her kidneys are infected as well since it is so bad. She is on a pretty high dose of medication to try and get rid of this infection. The doctor said it's likely she has had it since leaving the hospital from the catheter (I guess she is assuming based on how bad of an infection it is and her bad reflux along with the fact that she's not been herself since then). The doctor said the worsening reflux is a symptom of a UTI. She said some kids vomit and some reflux really bad when they have a UTI...I never knew and never would have connected the two.

So if you could spare a prayer....Mila has been through so very much in the last couple of months and it's about time for her to catch a break and start lovin' life like she was meant to! We're pretty exhausted too and suffering from parent guilt from this going on so long and us not figuring it out until 2 weeks later :( Here's hoping that's why she's been sleeping so poorly and maybe in a few days we can sleep again!

Comments

  1. Don't feel guilty! Sometimes it takes up to 10-14 days to rear it's ugly head and present itself! You caught it as soon as the fever let you know something was up! Good job, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her little heart! I've had UTI's and kidney stones and kidney infections and I know how awful they hurt. :( I'm praying that the medicine starts working immediately and sweet baby Mila is healed up in no time. Also praying that you all get a good night of sleep tonight. (BTW, I never run fevers, ever, until I'm sick enough to be hospitalized. It took me getting a double ear infection and strep at the same time when I was 3 without having a fever before my mom realized that, and she spent the next 15+ years "fighting" with doctors to do strep tests even if I didn't have a fever.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for all of you. I had severe uti's as a child and they are no fun. Praying Mila feels better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give in to the mommy guilt! Because you continued to push and advocate for your baby, she is finally getting the treatment she needs. GOOD JOB! Praying her kidneys look good and that she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. poor sweet girl! glad you got it figured out. will pray forsure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that poor thing:( I know firsthand how bad those can be. I hope that this medication kicks in very quickly and gives Mila a great deal of relief! Sending a prayer...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wow. Poor baby and poor Mama. Prayers said not only for Mila to feel better soon, but for Mama and Daddy too. You had no idea about the UTI, and you have to give yourself a little credit for figuring it out now. You are an awesome Mom and I know Mila thinks so too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following your adoption and cheering you on, but man, all I can say is that poor, poor baby! And the poor, poor Mama! Keep up the good work, Mama! This too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 2 year old is currently at the ER with a UTI. I've had several myself and know just how terribly painful they are. It is so hard to see your kiddos with a sliver so seeing them in constant pain is horendous. So sorry little Mila is going through all of this. Prayers for great antibiotics and a quick recovery (and lots of sleep:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor baby! Glad y'all found the problem though! Prayers coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness! Poor Mila indeed! I was just catching up on blogs, and had read your last post earlier today and was glad to hear things were better, but that obviously didn't last! I bet she's been miserable, and I hope her kidneys are ok. It's so hard when they can't tell you what wrong. I can definetly spare LOTS of prayers for that sweetie pie! And mommy and daddy too! (I MUST get my sleep too, ive been extremely lucky with 4 kids, they seem to understand that fact!!)
    Take care!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor, sweet Mila! Sending positive vibes your way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for the little bean!! I have to say, it really does annoy me how often doctors/nurses may dismiss concerns of the parents, when they know! Instead of telling you "it's like that sometimes" they really ought to at least check it out. Mommy always knows best! I'm sorry for you both that it took this long for it to be found!

    Something similar happened with one of my nieces when she was younger. Her urine smelled awful but they kept dismissing us, and she ended up having to go through a lot of things that could have been avoided had they listened to us in the beginning!!

    I hope after the infection clears you will get your little love bug back and some sleep for you both!!

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sarah, my heart broke when I read that post, for all of you and your exhaustion and for little Mila. I was also struck by how blessed you are to have one another. Now that little girl will NEVER have to hope that someone notices she is suffering. You are wonderful parents. I hope she feels better soon.
    My prayers are with all of you. You will get through this...

    Jane in Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor girl. Hoping she is feeling better.

    Here's something amazing, my one year old daughter has been displaying these symptoms you have described perfectly...She's been waking up just SCREAMING at night, and I have no idea why.... and she throws up in bed ALL the time recently...

    Thanks for figuring that out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so SORRY to hear these news!
    Poor Mila-Bean!!Poor Baslie-Family!!!
    Praying hard for ALL of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. please remember to watch for a yeast infection little girls sometimes get it while being on antibiotics for bladder infections..a thin layer of no-name monistat cream will get rid of it quickly..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you able to get any Colloidal Silver? It is brilliant for kidney and UTI infections. I'm sure they will give her antibiotics too but it is natural and doesn't interfere with those. It would definitely increase the speed the infection goes and is brilliant if there is a kidney infection too. Of course, ask your doctor too, some don't like to recommend natural products but some do know the value of them and still will!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely praying for sweet Mila!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poor Sweet Girl:( Many prayers going up for your entire family!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Mommy! Don't feel guilty!!! How would you know? Praying so hard that the antibiotics will work FAST. If they don't, be sure they get her on something that will. Sometimes those "bugs" are so resistent to the common meds. I had lots of experience with UTI's and kidney infections with my daughter. It wasn't always so obvious until it got really bad. Once she is better I just know your sweet little Jelly Bean will appear once again! (((BIG HUGS)))!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet girl, like she hasn't been through enough already. Please, Lord, give this adorable girl and her family a break.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know we all fall into the guilt thing, but I hope somewhere you can also find a little space to be proud of yourself for being the absolute best advocate for getting your daughter the care she needs. We hope she'll feel so much better so fast... and we're praying, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poor baby! I hope she kicks that nasty infection soon - - and that you can finally get some much-deserved sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Lord I am praying for a swift healing from this very uncomfortable infection for Mila. May the entire family sleep peacefully knowing You are in control and that Mila is on her way to health. In you precious Holy name I pray, Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment